Liebster Blog Award
Wow, this sure put a smile on my face this week; I was nominated by 2 fellow bloggers for the Liebster Award. The first fellow blogger is “Headlong Running Betty” (http://headlongrunningbetty.wordpress.com/), who has just been a marvelous support with my eating disorder, and “Life and PTSD” (http://lifeandptsd.wordpress.com/), who struggles with PTSD and her articles are close to my heart. I have decided to combine the two into one post.
The Liebster Award is a fantastic idea to allow bloggers to discover other bloggers that you personally love, and perhaps new bloggers that you were unaware of. As “Running Betty” says: “it’s a very simple and generous pay-it-forward concept.
These are the Liebster Award rules in a nutshell:
- Thank the blogger that nominated you
- Nominate up to 11 blogs whom you feel deserve the award, who have less than 500 followers
- Post 11 questions for you nominees to answer (I am being lazy, so you can use the same questions that were posed to me!)
- Inform your nominees and post a comment in their blog to let them know they’ve been nominated
These are the questions I was given:
1. What inspired you to start blogging?
I’ve been journaling on and off since my teen years, but throughout my never-ending hospital stays for major depression, I wrote faithfully each and every day. I wanted to record my moods, surroundings, socializing with other patients, my doctor’s visits (not many), and a way to vent my thoughts of helplessness and hopelessness to the point of suicidal ideations and even plans.
My passion has always been writing, and after recovering, I began to write articles based on my journal entries and someone suggested starting a blog. What better way to get the word out about my experiences, hopefully educate others on mental illness stigma, and incorporate other articles at the same time.
2. How many revisions does it take before you finally publish?
Probably no less than 9 or 10, sometimes more. (I think this post was 14!) It just ticks me off when I think everything is looking just right, and I hit the ‘publish’ button, look at my finished article and then…..oh crap! Practically the same feeling when you press ‘send’ for an e-mail, but you don’t have that second chance.
3. What were your best/worst subjects in school and what would you like to learn now?
Well, I can think of more subjects I didn’t like, but it would probably be calculus. I never understood it, never understood when I would use it in the future and back in my day there wasn’t a calculator nearby to help. Also tied for worst subject was shorthand, as I never thought this method would remain in the future (and I was right). Best subject: English.
4. What type of blogs do you follow?
Mostly ones that touch my heart, those who are experiencing what I’m going through or a subject that I’m interested in. Also bloggers who write humor, poetry and fiction/non-fiction or interested in art.
5. If you could learn to speak a foreign language what would it be? Mandarin, a major challenge.
6. What time of day do you blog? I’m a morning person, so I usually like to write and post early in the day.
7. What is the one thing in life you are most passionate about?
When I become well enough, I would like to be more involved in animal rescue/adoption. I adopted an amazing little dog named Emma, who was raised in a puppy mill and so severely mistreated, it took great effort to get her to truly trust me and reassure her that she had a safe home.
8. What is the best thing about you? My empathy
9. What is the most motivating factor for you to blog?
Struggling with depression; it gives me purpose and keeps my mind from going to mush
10. What have you learned about yourself from blogging?
I’m not a bad writer for someone who didn’t attend college, and I appear to get my point across.
11. Do you have any other blogs?
Yes, I have one other blog (for my humorous side of life), although I haven’t kept it up-to-date, it’s still out there if you want to take a peek: “Now…That’s Funny” http://suz50.wordpress.com/
Here are the bloggers I have nominated: